Questions to ask when interviewing a realtor:
Buying a home can be the most complex financial transaction you ever undertake. Mistakes can cost you thousands of dollars or cost you your dream home. As a buyer, you are in competition with other buyers who are also looking for their dream home. Working exclusively with one Realtor has many benefits. A buyer’s agent focuses on finding the ideal home for you. A Realtor also has access to the MLS or Multiple Listing Service that notifies them of any home that comes on the market that meets your needs. And most importantly, a Realtor can help you develop your negotiating strategy, so you can obtain the home you want at the price you can afford. Here are some of the most significant questions to consider when interviewing Realtors.
- How long have you been a buyer’s agent?
- Do you hold any real estate designations or credentials?
- Tell me how you can better assist me at each stage of the buying process.
- Do you have an area of specialized knowledge?
- How will you be compensated?
- Do you have access to the MLS? FSBOs? New Homes?
- Will you be handling all aspects of my transaction or do you have an assistant I will be working with?
- If a home is found, will you personally present my offer and help me through negotiations?
- Do you provide assistance in finding financing?
- Can you provide feedback from any of your past clients?